Caring for your natural stone
The natural stone you have purchased is an investment that will give you many years of beautiful service. Simple care will help preserve your stone’s beauty for generations to come.
Natural stone can be classified into two general categories according to its composition: siliceous stone and calcareous stone. Knowing the difference is critical for proper cleaning and care.
Granite is a siliceous stone that is comprised mainly of silica and quartz-like particles. Because of its composition, granite is very durable and easy to clean with mild acidic cleaning solutions. Cleaning and care tips:
- Use warm water and natural cleaning agents such as:
- Affordable Granite & Stone Cleaner and Polisher, anti-bacterial dishwashing detergent or any natural stone cleaner
- Using too much cleaner can leave a film or streaks
- Rinse thoroughly to avoid film and streaks
- Dry with a soft cloth
- IMPORTANT: don’t use wax or bleach based products or abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers, scouring powders and pads or ‘soft scrub’ cleansers.
Marble, limestone, travertine, and onyx
These are calcareous stones that are composed mainly of calcium carbonate. These softer stones are sensitive to acidic products. Anything with over three percent acidity can etch and dull the surface. This can include coffee, tomato sauce, citrus fruits and wine. Cleaning and care tips:
- Always use coasters
- Place a mat under objects that may scratch the surface such as pans or utensils
- Clean with a mild detergent and warm water
- Do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar, high alkaline or other acids
- Do not use strong detergents or corrosive liquids
- Blot spills right away with a paper towel. Don’t wipe the area; it will spread the spill. Flush the area with plain water and mild soap and rinse several times
- Dry thoroughly with a soft cloth
- If etching has occurred, call Affordable Granite for advice or to schedule an appointment for our restoration service
Since natural stones are porous materials and are susceptible to staining, they all need to be sealed. Affordable Granite & Cabinetry holds the exclusive rights to Granite Guard®. Granite Guard is an invisible and breathable sealer that protects the stone. It penetrates the stone, bonding with the hydrogen, and changes the surface tension of the stone itself, making it impervious to stains. Unlike other sealers which simply clog the pores and wear down within a year, with Granite Guard®, you only need to seal the stone once. Granite Guard comes with a lifetime warranty against any kind of staining. While Granite Guard will protect against any kind of staining, it cannot protect calcareous stones against etching.
Please contact us for more information about Granite Guard and the care and cleaning of your stone. We’re more than happy to answer any questions.